Rider Safety Series, Part 1: Powersports
ATV Safey Week is coming up next month (June 3rd through 12th, 2016), so our primary focus in this article will be related to ATVs.
The ATV Safety Institute has a few ‘Golden Rules’ that you should always follow in any riding situation:
- Always wear a DOT-compliant helmet, goggles, long sleeves, long pants, over-the-ankle boots, and gloves.
- Never ride on paved roads except to cross when done safely and permitted by law – another vehicle could hit you. ATVs are designed to be operated off-highway.
- Never ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Never carry a passenger on a single-rider ATV, and no more than one passenger on an ATV specifically designed for two people.
- Ride an ATV that’s right for your age.
- Supervise riders younger than 16; ATVs are not toys.
- Ride only on designated trails and at a safe speed.
For your Powersports needs, check out the following tires we offer here at OTR Wheel Engineering, Inc.:
- Tomahawk – Offered up to a 29.5 x 11.00-14, the Tomahawk is designed for exceptional mud terrain. It proves to be a smooth trail rider as well as delivering where most mud tires fail. This tire features a durable 6-ply construction, an aggressive tread pattern, and offers high performance on a variety of terrain, but especially in the mud. Purchase a set for your ATV today!
- 350 MAG – The 350 MAG is designed with an open, non-directional tread pattern providing superb traction and wear characteristics on various terrain. It is built to RTV standards and supports greater load ratings than most marketplace ATV tires today. Purchase a set for your ATV today!
The Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association, or ROHVA, also has free multi-media, interactive online safety courses that are available for you to take 24/7 to help develop better driving safety habits.
Check out the following video (it’s part of a series of videos that are certainly worth watching) by the ATV Safety Institute: